Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Crochet wreath tutorial


Ok, so this isn't quilted, but I'm all-around crafty! I haven't made one of these in years, but they're so easy and quick that when I found my yarn I had to make one (I also needed a good excuse to open up the gallon of apple cider in the fridge)

My grandmother taught me to make these a looooong time ago during one of my many sick days in elementary school. They are easy enough a sick first grader can make them!

You will need:

plastic ring from a jug of milk or cider
Crochet hook size G
green worsted weight yarn
about 12" red ribbon
scissors
basic crochet skills.

 Start by making your first loop, then single crochet through the plastic ring. See the picture? The ring functions like a chain of stitches would if you were going to crochet in the round. I hold the tail of my yarn against the ring so it gets covered up and hidden as I go around the loop...
 Like this! Make sure you squish the stitches together a bit so they're a little crowded. Slip stitch to join the first and last stitches.
 Chain 2 and then single crochet around again...
 Ending up with this! Slip stitch again, and then finish it off and tuck in the yarn end.
 Now, take the ribbon, fold it in half, and tie a knot about 1" from the loop, then push the ends through from back to front through two slots next to each other like this. Tie these ends into a pretty little bow, trim even if necessary, and ta-da!
A cute wreath! Hang it as an ornament, or use less ribbon and omit the bow and you can attach the wreath to a pin back or a magnet.  Wasn't that easy?

Feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Merry Christmas!

2 comments:

FREE questions and comments! Complaints will be read for a nominal fee of $17,000.